Electro-Voice EVA system for historic Cottbus Conservatory, Germany
July 21, 2015
- Historic venue with a new sound reinforcement system from Electro-Voice
- Acoustic and architectural challenges successfully addressed
- Installed by Autobahn Audio Pro Light & Sound of Cottbus
“the variety of dispersion angles of the different models allowed us to achieve ideal results, tailored precisely to the acoustics of the building.”
The planning phase, in which numerous competing systems were compared, was very thorough and the final decision unequivocal. The Electro-Voice EVA came out on top for a number of reasons. “It represents great value for money, for one thing,” says Autobahn Audio Pro Light & Sound MD Andreas Juhr, “but moreover, the variety of dispersion angles of the different models allowed us to achieve ideal results, tailored precisely to the acoustics of the building.”
Arrays of four EVA elements are flown on each side of the stage, each with three EVA-2082/906 and a single EVA 2082/1220. These make up the main sound reinforcement system and deliver a detailed sonic image and homogeneous coverage. Eight Electro-Voice EVU elements provide near fill to the gallery. These ultra-compact two-way systems, with an asymmetrical design, are ideal for sub-balcony and stage installations.
The loudspeakers are powered by five Electro-Voice CPS amplifiers and controlled by two Electro-Voice Dx46 FIR-drive processors. An individually configured IRIS-Net user interface offers the user a bird’s-eye view of the entire installation from a PC, as well as full remote supervision and control.
The installation took just under four months and the official reopening was marked by a concert at which the students, most of whom will go on to become professional musicians, displayed their prowess.About Cottbus Conservatory
The Conservatory at Cottbus is regarded as one of the city’s finest architectural treasures. It is also an educational institution with a long tradition. This began in 1873, when it was a girl’s school (The Augusta); later it became a secondary school. It was only in 1952, with its rechristening as a People’s Music School, that it found its musical vocation. In 1973 it received the title Conservatory. 20 years later, the concert hall of the Cottbus Conservatory became the venue for a prestigious nationwide singing competition – part of the Jugend musiziert (“The young make music”) series.